A single Family Office with operating businesses (including fintech, regtech, real estate, and sports), and with investments across a broad array of asset classes and philanthropic initiatives, is seeking a mid-level Associate to work with the Partner responsible for managing direct investments (e.g., Venture Capital, M&A). The position will focus on providing investment analysis and conducting due diligence on targeted companies. The successful candidate also will work closely with the small Family Office team on a wide variety of projects including analysis, research, and guidance on matters important to the Family Office.
The Founder is a serial entrepreneur and nationally recognized lawyer and financial services expert. This position represents an excellent opportunity to assist the Founder and his leadership team in building and expanding the organization’s investment and philanthropic capabilities into a multigenerational vehicle supporting the family’s vision and related priorities.
The individual must have a strong finance background, an understanding of the direct investment process, and experience in conducting due diligence on financial investments/companies. The opportunity also requires the ability to quickly ingest and process new information, as well as an enthusiasm for learning new skills, technologies, and industries. The ability to communicate, work collaboratively and embrace a team approach to attacking and solving issues – big and small – is essential. The organization functions largely without hierarchy or layers. The candidate must be willing to roll-up sleeves and immerse himself/herself into the details, working with broader resources to produce quality work product and tangible business outcomes.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform due diligence on potential Venture Capital investments, including deriving TAM, LTV, CAC, and evaluating management teams and business models.
- Author investment memos, create presentations/decks and financial models.
- Conduct due diligence on other opportunities (e.g. direct real estate investments, sports teams, private equity funds, charitable grant candidates, and prospective business partners).
- Compile ad hoc financial reporting, analysis, modeling, and projections for portfolio companies and internal operations. Assist with projects and strategic planning; interpret and communicate financial information/data.
- Support the Founder, broader team, and individual portfolio company CEOs, serving as a consultant on discrete projects as needed (e.g., startup fundraising, new business incubation, financial modeling).
- Participate as an influential voice in the decision-making process around new investments
- Advance business development initiatives by helping to build a pipeline of potential startup investment and acquisition candidates.
In addition to technical skills (e.g., financial modeling and accounting), it is critical to understand the Associate will be a part of a small team and, therefore, must possess and exhibit certain essential characteristics:
- Clear communicator, good writing and presentation skills, detail-oriented, highly motivated
- Self-starter who takes initiative and acts as a problem-solver, not just a problem identifier
- Strategic thinker, anticipates issues and considers second-order consequences of decisions
- Person of integrity who strives always to act in an ethically and socially responsible manner
- Takes pride in their work product; brings a meticulous attention to detail
- Team orientation – a willingness to collaborate and to embrace conflicting views; does not have to prevail on every issue
- Demonstrate ability to use tact, discretion, confidentiality and good judgment in handling sensitive and confidential matters and documentation
- Strong experience with financial statements, financial concepts, and financial modeling.
- Previous full-time experience in Venture Capital, Investment Banking, Private Equity, Management Consulting, or Corporate Development
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree
- Considerable experience executing due diligence in a transactional setting, working knowledge of legal, accounting, and tax considerations
- Graduate Degree (e.g. MBA) or 5+ years professional experience
- Position is based in Washington, DC (no travel required)
- Work-life balance culture: generous, flexible vacation; reasonable remote work
- Compensation: highly competitive salary, bonus, and full benefits – health, dental, 401k, etc.
- Interested candidates should email a cover letter and their resume to Hiring@Temeritycap.com